Wednesday, January 7, 2009

TECHNOLOGY



My friend Melissa blogged about the "small" things in life that she enjoys. Things that we probably don't really think about, but that are so wonderful. Like hot running water or the garbage that gets taken away at the curb each week. We have it good in so many ways. She asked us to tell about small things that we appreciated. I have a big one...Technology!

I was thinking about the pioneers and ancestors who lived in places like England or Europe and made the decision to come out west and join the Saints. Once you said your goodbye's that was pretty much it. For the most part you were not going to be communicating with or seeing your loved one's again. Maybe you could send a letter by boat but at that time that was pretty much it and it surely took a long time. Yes, in the future there were railways, telegraphs, and then the telephone. Boy that would have taken some serious faith to leave everything behind to come out west.

I am so grateful for the ease in which I can see and communicate with my family. My dad and mom gave all of my siblings and I a web cam for Christmas. Since they live in Florida we don't get to see them very often. Usually only once a year when they come out in the summer, and then it's back to e-mails and phone calls (which have been amazing up until now). But this little web cam device is so dang awesome! Now I can see my parents and talk with them any time I want. And through Google g-mail it's free!!! It is so fun now to visit with my sister's or parents who live in Florida. It's soooo much different than a phone call or even an e-mail. The kids can talk with their grandparents or their cousins. We have been having a blast with it!!! So I am grateful for the technology that allows me to see my parents who live thousands of miles away with just the click of a button!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oooh, I think I need one of those. I was just thinking how cool it would be to let my kids talk to my parents and see them. Now thanks to you, we may have to get a cool little web cam.

Carolee said...

I need help installing mine:) even though I'm technologically challenged, I still am very grateful for it. I mean who could live without their keyboard and monitor?